"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

An Unexpected Friend

Today I had to make a run to Walmart on my way home. I was coming from Boise so I stopped at the Garrity Walmart... not my usual. I laugh that I always run into someone I know at Walmart. It doesn't matter if it's 2:00 AM and I'm looking "pretty." Today was no exception, but I was completely shocked as to whom I ran into. It was my friend Kerri Costley! She and her family lived across the hall from us in our first apartment. I haven't seen her since Ashley was born. They moved to Michigan and we moved to Colorado. Now they live in Texas and we live in Idaho and it's so crazy that we ran into each other at Walmart!!! I've thought about them so many times and tried to track them down. But since I dropped my phone in dish water I've lost touch with lots of friends. Their daughter Lorin used to sneak over to our apartment so I could paint her fingernails. The last month we were there was really fun. I wasn't working and I was itching to have my own baby girl. It just so happens that Kerri had their second daughter 2 days before I had Sammy. They also have a daughter just 7 months younger than Ashley. It was fun to laugh with Kerri and Cory about having all girls. We of course exchanged phone numbers and blog addresses. I got sucked into reading her blog all afternoon! I think they are my new heroes. Their daughter, Izzy, who is Sammy's age was diagnosed with Leukemia and she has gone through 2 1/2 years of therapy. I cried my eyes out reading Izzy's blog. Seeing pictures of Cory holding Izzy in his arms you can tell how much he loves that sweet little angel. I can't even imagine what Kerri goes through as a mother to see her child endure such pain. Izzy has more strength than I ever new a child could have. She's had to endure many, many spinal taps and blood transfusions that it makes my heart ache. The good news is she had her last treatment recently and is finally in remission. If you want to see her journey video click here. I'm so glad I ran into Kerri and I'm excited for future conversations! Good luck Izzy with your journey to come! I know your family loves you so much and so do we!!!

3 comments:

Sarah's Project said...

Ok I really shouldn't watch videos like that when I'm pregnant. What a beautiful little family and I cried through all of it, especially the haircut. I might not know them, but I can sure pray for them too. thanks for sharing Ally.

Daleen Kofoed said...

Alli!! That was a very sweet tribute to Izzy. Thank you! What a small world, huh?!! Well, we up and decided to head back to Utah tomorrow morning. But it will be so great to track your adorable family on your blog.

Ode to the good 'ol days living accorss from each other in Sandy, Utah!! :)

Loves!

Daleen Kofoed said...

oh, that was me signed under my mom :) Loves, Kerri and the Costley clan