I wanted to post this yesterday on her real birthday... but I was feeling under the weather. Sorry, but today will have to do.
Six years ago I was feeling awfully big and uncomfortable. I went in for my last OB visit and was ready to discuss induction. Unfortunately, my doctor had to leave to deliver a baby and I was left with the NP. She stripped my membranes and sent me over to the hospital for a stress test. I was having regular contractions about 5-7 minutes apart. Andy and I went back to our schedules and by that evening we started timing the contractions. They were consistently 5 minutes apart. I packed my bag for the hospital and we headed out about midnight. Once we got to the hospital they monitored me for an hour and sent me home since I was not progressing. The nurse said, "Hopefully we'll see you in the morning." (This was Monday.) By Friday the contractions had not changed and I was getting very irritated. I had called my doctor's office numerous times and all the nurse told me was to try and go running. Running! I was so swollen I could only wear flip flops. I could have said some choice words, but I held my tongue. I felt helpless and called my mom in tears. She had 12 kids and I asked her what I could do. She gave me some tips and then said, "Or... you could just go to the hospital. Maybe they'll have pitty on you."
That night we went to visit my sister, Shiloam, who had her baby 10 days before and were waiting for my other sister, Brigetta, and her hubby, Brandon. They were coming down from Idaho to see the baby as well. After a few hours of chatting through contractions I said, "Andy, let's go to the hospital." He was not happy with me. He wanted to go home and get a good nights rest and then go in the morning. Ha! He would get some rest, while I toss and turn all night. I told him we were going no matter what.
We got to the hospital and the nurse called my doctor. She said, "You know... we're really not that busy... and you're up anyway." She is the only nurse I actually remember by name and maybe it's because I thought she was my saving grace. They started my IV and my epidural at the same time and Sammy was on her way. Very shortly after my water broke (on it's own) and then it was the waiting game. About 15 hours later I was fully dilated and the on call doctor came in. We pushed for about 45 minutes and the doctor said that she didn't think I was going to get the baby out on my own. (She was posterior, but the doctor didn't even try to turn her. She flat out told me she would rather be home with her dogs!) Since it was my first baby I really didn't know what to say or do. So we put trust in the doctor and she sent us in for a c-section. Samantha Hailey was born at 3:47 pm. She was 7 lbs. 11 oz. and 20 inches long. They rolled me out and we had quite the crowd. Brigetta and Brandon, Shiloam and John (+ their 2 boys), Andy's parents, and Nate Wyne all showed up! We missed our company Christmas party, but could care less. Everyone heard about our news and it was phone call after phone call congratulating us and asking when they could visit. Nate and Emily were among our first visitors. We always remember each other on December 20th since it's their anniversary as well.
Six years later, Sammy is happy and healthy and full of life! She loves school, her teachers, her friends, and I think most of all riding the bus! At times I don't know what to do with her and she and I butt heads most of the time, but we love her and are grateful she is in our lives. She is such a big help to her sisters and likes to be "in charge" when I take my daily shower. It amazes me how quickly time flies. I can't believe she is six years old! We love you Sammy and we're glad you were born!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
6 years old!! Wow - she sure is growing fast! Hope you had a wonderful birthday sammy!!! We miss you and love ya lots!
Happy Birthday Sammy (I guess a little belated too!)
Ally - doesn't sound like a fun labor and delivery...especially for your first!
Have a very Merry Christmas!!!
Tell Sammy Happy Birthday from us in Eastern Idaho as well. We sure love her & her energy!
Happy Birthday Miss Sammy! We are glad you are in our family
Post a Comment