Tuesday, April 13, 2010
The Verdict
After protest-- but too much pain in my knee-- I saw an orthopedic doctor Tuesday. I'll have you know I was up with all 4 of us girls cleaned up, ready to go, and out the door by 7:45! (New comers to this blog that almost never happens!) And the verdict is knee plica syndrome! (If you want to find out more information click here. If you're a runner this would be a great thing to read.) So much better than I was expecting. I was afraid they would have to do an MRI to rule out damage to my ACL or meniscus. The doctor prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory that I take twice a day and if it's not feeling better in a week I have to go back in and get a shot of cortisone. Yuck! The thought of a needle going into my knee makes me cringe so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to do that. In addition I have to go to physical therapy twice a week for six weeks. I went to my first session this morning. The therapist agreed that I had plica but she also thought I had a bit of tendinitis and scar tissue built up. She scraped my knee and the area around it and then the fun part, ultrasound. (This is not the fun ultrasound that you get to see what's inside... it kind of burns. If you want to know more about it click here.) Not only does my knee look like there's a balloon inside it, it feels like it too. There are a few bruises and where the patch was placed for the ultrasound I have a white circle, and where the stabilizer was placed it's still a bit red and tender. It's not fun, but if it's what I have to do to get back out on the road then I can handle it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
Doesn't sound like much fun, but at least it's not much worse! Hope your knee heals enough that you might make it to your half!
Your knee is going to get better, I just know it cause you are amazing and nothing is going to stop you! ha ha!
2 weeks baby!! soooo nervous and excited!
I'm glad it wasn't an ACL or miniscus...I was worried about that. Good luck with the treatments...I'll be thinking about ya and hoping all goes well!
I knew there must be a good excuse out there for why I don't run marathons with the rest of my crazy sisters. Now I found it! I love you tons, I hope you get better soon. Wish I was closer so I could bring you bread or something. Hug your gorgeous kids for me.
Post a Comment