"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Sunday, July 18, 2010

An adventure of a reunion!

Andy and I returned Monday from our annual Wyne reunion. (Sorry it took me so long to post.) Anyway, there's way too much to talk about and if I wrote it all down you might be here till next Monday reading. So I decided to just make quick notes of favorites... and not so favorites.

Not so favorites:
  • Finding out there was a mouse nest in one of Sarah's mattresses. (I really don't know how you did it! I would've left right then and there! It still made my skin crawl!)
  • Hearing the mice scratching at night
  • climbing into our bed with only about 18-24 inches of head room (we put an air mattress on top of the mattresses provided on the bottom bunk due to a guard rail on the top bunk.)
  • the bugs and flies
  • seeing a mouse in the bathroom!!!
  • no water from Friday night till Saturday afternoon
  • Being really sore from running 10 miles in an hour and a half
  • trying to contain my children in the lodge during pictures just so they wouldn't dump dirt on their heads... again!
  • Finding a half eaten Starburst IN MY BED!
  • Sleeping in the car the last night because the thought of a mouse in my bed was enough for me... I would've gone home had the girls been awake.
  • Getting sunburned and looking like a lobster even after applying sunscreen twice!
  • Andy committing us for next year's reunion
  • Andy losing his wedding ring while golfing

Favorites:

  • visiting with everyone
  • watching Andy climb into bed... ha, ha!
  • playing kickball in the rain (why does it rain every time I go camping?) even with a horrible "kickball"
  • smores
  • yummy food
  • Shelby's reaction when she opened her gift from Katie, "Mooooommmmyyy! I got a Barbie!!!!"
  • Katie's reaction when she opened her gift from Shelby. It was the perfect gift of a cell phone and a pair of sunglasses. She doesn't let them leave her sight... even at church!
  • Minute to win it--- watching Lisa try and suck up the M&M. I couldn't stop laughing.
  • going on a nature hike to see this amazing tree and being able to talk to Maria for a long time... she lives far away and we only see them at the reunion.
  • doing tie-dye shirts, and having purple tinted hands for a week
  • playing family feud, Koenig style
  • seeing everyone run around in their capes and masks for Brown's activity
  • seeing how well the cousins get along--- I hardly saw Ashley and Sammy the whole time we were there.
  • playing indoor "Wyne" which is the game "spud" but I just changed the name for the night.
  • Running 10 miles with Amy and Emily
  • Seeing the result of Katie dumping dirt on her head. I would touch her hair and a cloud of dust would poof! She looked blond!
  • playing horseshoes and winning every time... that really was because of Andy.
  • Lava Hot Springs
  • Cafe Rio twice in one week! Mmmm! It's my favorite!!!

Funny things said:

  • (Andy to me) Did you have a running dream last night? Your feet kept twitching, and they would alternate. (I think I was just wigged out by the mice.)
  • (Ashley) Mommy, I was so fweaked out by the skunk. I thought they were only in books and movies. I didn't know they came to life. I was so fweaked out.
  • (Sammy) Mom, this place is not like our house at all! There is dirt everywhere! Our place only has grass. And there is no carpet!
  • (Sammy when we returned home) Awe, carpet feels nice.

All in all we did have a good time, but I don't know if I will venture there again. If I were guaranteed there wouldn't be any mice then maybe I would consider it... but I really hate those little creatures! Or maybe I would just bring a tent. Thanks for planning Dana, I know that was a lot of work and we appreciate it!

1 comment:

Sarah's Project said...

I am sooooo glad to hear you don't want to go back there again - especially since you are planning the next reunion! I'm with you, lots of fun memories - but I HATED living in filth. For me it was the mice AND the flies everywhere. Yuk!