"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Monday, January 17, 2011

Fondant!

I've always wanted to try and use fondant! So last week my friend, Sarah, and I decided to experience it together. The cakes were falling apart completely just trying to put a light layer of frosting on them so we set those aside and practiced with a bowl. Later I used the last little cake that was frozen and this is what became of it. It was so much fun just to play around with it. And now I can't wait to try homemade fondant and a much larger cake! I'll be trying to do a three dimensional Mickey, and then a castle cake.

Later, however, I noticed two very tiny little cracks in my fondant. From about two feet away you couldn't even notice them, but if you looked close you could see. So to all my friends who are experienced with fondant how do you fix that? Or what causes the cracks? Am I rolling it too thick or too thin?

Also, I want to use rice crispy treats in place of cake for Mickey's shoes and I was wondering if I can lay fondant over that as well?

6 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

WOW! I am impressed - fondant is something I too would like to learn to conquer. Your fondant turned out beautiful!

Kelsey said...

Adorable! Sorry I have no advice/experience with fondant! I am very impressed though. Sorry I couldn't chat longer this morning. Logan has been having a hard couple of days. He might be getting 2-year molars...or he might just be an ornery 2 year old. :)

chingchong7 said...

I think your cake looks amazing!! I have never ever worked with fondant. Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful!! You did a fantastic job. :)

I only know a very little about fondant. I think that it's not how thin/thick it is, but how much you handle it that dries it out. Also, yes you can lay fondant over rice krispies.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see more photo's!!

Tanis Koenig said...

Hey! Brindy says that you dip a paint brush into some water and brush over the cracks, then you push the cracks together.

Becky said...

wow this is sure impressive to me for it being your first time! It turned out beautiful!