"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pregnancy Update

With the last post I announced that I could go on a dinner date with Andy and I was SO excited about that... Well, at my very next appointment my cervix had thinned to 0.6 cm and that made my doctor nervous.  I asked him if I could still go on my date and he told me no.  I was so bummed and then asked, "What if Andy wheels me around?  Then can I still go?"  He held out his hand for me to shake on it with my promise that if I was in a wheelchair then I could go.  Andy's sister and her husband, Mindy and Doug, met us at the Cheesecake Factory and we had a great time visiting with them.  Afterward I made Andy wheel me up to Motherhood Maternity so I could get a couple new shirts... this baby is getting big and I'm growing out of some clothes.  And of course you can't complete a date without stopping at Walmart.  We went in to get iron supplements (test results showed I'm anemic) and a couple things for the baby.

Last week at my appointment my doctor wasn't quite so nervous since my cervix looked stable again.  He told me just a couple more weeks and no more bed rest as long as everything was still stable.  So today was a "keep your fingers crossed" kind of day.  Guess what?!  I need to finish out this week of bed rest and then I was given the thumbs up to get off bed rest!!!  My cervix looked stable and the baby was looking good.  I still need to take it easy, but I don't have to stay down all the time.  HOORAY!!!  I got the first steroid shot today and I'll get the second one tomorrow... OUCH!!!  (Holy cow that sucker hurt!  And I've kind of gotten used to shots in my bum.)  After that we can breathe a little bit.  My doctor told me that typically he doesn't let his patients get off bed rest at this point, but he didn't want me to get off bed rest and then immediately have a c-section.  He wants me to have time to let my muscles rejuvenate a bit.  So he said to take it easy and listen to my body.  If I go into labor before 35 weeks its NICU time no matter what.  I promised I would be careful... and really I get worn out just getting cleaned up for the day so I doubt I'll be running around much anyway.

32 Weeks (and 1 day)

Now for the fun stuff!!!

Bow Ties or Pearls?  Is it a BOY or GIRL?
I know some of you have been waiting patiently to know the gender...

IT'S A

 
GIRL!
Yep!  We are four for four!  There are a few family's in our ward that have all girls and the husbands would say to Andy, "You know if you're having a boy we're kicking you out of the club, right?"  Andy would respond, "I think I can sacrifice... but I'm sure I won't be out of the club."  When we found out the ultrasound tech didn't even need to say anything.  She just moved the Doppler down to the bum area and Andy said, "Dang it."  The tech laughed and said, "You are familiar with that picture"... she already knew we had three girls at home.  I had to show excitement so I laughed and yelled, "Wahoo!!!"  I was very excited to have another girl and Andy has come to terms with it.  After I was sent to the hospital and put on bed rest he was happier about her being a girl since we have at least clothes to get her through the first 3-6 months.  That was a stress relieved with her being a girl and not a boy.  Now we just need to decide on a name. :\
 

3 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Woot woot!!!! It's a girl! :D It's funny because a boy would be fun, but man I just love girls. I think after 3, I'm at the point of, "what in the heck do I do with a boy?!?". LOL I'm so excited for you guys. I'm so excited that you're almost done with bedrest and most of all I just can't wait to see her sweet little healthy face when she is born, and your joyous happy faces holding her. So so excited. :)

Rachel B. said...

Yay for girls! She will be so darling. I can hardly believe you're almost done. That is so great! Can't wait for your little darling to get here!

The Smyth Family said...

I'm glad you are doing better and have been taking it easy! Sorry I haven't called you back either…. it has been crazy around here and Hayden got some bad news (health wise) so we have been trying to juggle everything. Keep posting updates -- I have down time late at night so I usually get on to see what is going on with my friends then. Miss and love you!!