Thursday evening Brother Keller called and asked to meet with me. When I told Andy he said, "You're getting a calling"... well, he sang it. He asked me who again it was that called, and I told him. He said, "Primary!" I immediately thought, "I knew I shouldn't have answered that call. I just got out of primary!" Sure enough, I was called to be the second councilor in the Primary Presidency. I told Brother Keller I needed to think about it. My last experience in primary was not pretty... it resulted in me asking to be released, and I've never asked to be released from a calling before. After much deliberation I walked up to the front of the chapel on Sunday to give my answer. I told Brother Keller, "I was waiting for a sign... and last night the Utes beat BYU!" (Andy told me to say that.) He said, "Ah, I'm a big BYU fan... don't rub it in!" We had a little chuckle and I reluctantly told him I would accept the calling. I'm really nervous about this calling and would love to have words of advice/encouragement. I mostly don't want to feel frazzled and frustrated all the time. I know I do okay with kids one on one, but when it comes to a big group I don't do so well. Going to Relief Society I felt I got a break from kids and had "me" time to regroup. And now my Sundays I'll be engulfed in kids! Ah! I'm so not excited about this and I'm really hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised with my calling.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Called To Serve...
Thursday evening Brother Keller called and asked to meet with me. When I told Andy he said, "You're getting a calling"... well, he sang it. He asked me who again it was that called, and I told him. He said, "Primary!" I immediately thought, "I knew I shouldn't have answered that call. I just got out of primary!" Sure enough, I was called to be the second councilor in the Primary Presidency. I told Brother Keller I needed to think about it. My last experience in primary was not pretty... it resulted in me asking to be released, and I've never asked to be released from a calling before. After much deliberation I walked up to the front of the chapel on Sunday to give my answer. I told Brother Keller, "I was waiting for a sign... and last night the Utes beat BYU!" (Andy told me to say that.) He said, "Ah, I'm a big BYU fan... don't rub it in!" We had a little chuckle and I reluctantly told him I would accept the calling. I'm really nervous about this calling and would love to have words of advice/encouragement. I mostly don't want to feel frazzled and frustrated all the time. I know I do okay with kids one on one, but when it comes to a big group I don't do so well. Going to Relief Society I felt I got a break from kids and had "me" time to regroup. And now my Sundays I'll be engulfed in kids! Ah! I'm so not excited about this and I'm really hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised with my calling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Ahhhh, that was my last calling. It certainly is time consuming, but definitely has it's good parts. If the rest of the presidency is good to work with then I definitely think it can be fun. My personal experience was just okay. I will be honest and say that I wasn't too upset to be released though. I think you will be GREAT in there though!
In one of my wards a lady told us her experience, which is now a watered-down story that I often reflect on during my 'oh no' days.
A mother of many, had been struggling all day to find one good thing to report back to her husband when he returned that night from work. The house was in shambles, the kids were scuffed and teary-eyed, dinner was not done and well, life wasn't so picture perfect. She could count the number of things right with maybe one hand, but the list was long and tedious when it came to finding her to-do things failed.
To make matters worse, a friend of the family, who never seemed to have a flaw, stopped by. Adding embarrassment to her emotions, it was none other than an apostle from the Lord, stopping in. Completely beside herself, he turned and smiled. He noticed the energetic children bouncing off the walls. "Sister _____ remember, he has such an enormous spirt. How could it possibly fit within that small body?"
So I guess I'm saying there will be sweet, enormous spirits ready to be taught and trying in their own little ways to be guided by your spirit. Be prayerful and be mindful...oh and always write down the funny things they say!
Post a Comment