"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Thursday, August 27, 2009

1st ER Visit

We had our first emergency room visit with Ashley today. The girls from across the street were over playing when Ashley came running into the kitchen screaming! I tried to get her to calm down and within a few seconds her mouth was full of blood. I yelled for Sammy to grab a paper towel and then the doorbell rang. Thank goodness it was Gordon ready to pick up his girls. We took a closer look at Ashley and tried to get her to tell us what happened. Apparently she was trying to talk/blow into this... ... and fell with it in her mouth. It's a tent pole for her princess tent that goes over her bed. It's only plastic but it did quite a number in her mouth.
Gordon took Sammy to his house and I packed up Katie and Ashley and headed to the ER. I called Andy on my way and he met us there. The nurse and doctor saw us right away and told us there isn't much they can do. The doctor called an oral surgeon and discussed if they should give her a stitch. They didn't want to sedate her so opted not to do it. However, they thought we should take her in tomorrow to see the oral surgeon. They sent us home with instructions and prescriptions for pain medicine and antibiotics.

Katie was very sweet to her for a few minutes and hugged her very gently... even kissed her.

And this is what it looks like now... after the bleeding mostly stopped. (It's not the best picture, but she's been crying a lot since it happened and this was the most she would open her mouth.) The doctor said she was lucky it didn't hit her artery. It was close but it hit the bone just enough to stop it. She'll still be in quite a bit of pain, though.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Ouch! that looks like it hurt! Poor baby! I definitely do not like when things like that happen...especially the part when they come running in screaming and you don't know what has happened yet!

The Smyth Family said...

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe that happened -- that is horrible. I hope she is feeling better. That looks soooo painful!!!

Rachel B. said...

Ohhh! That is soooo sad. Poor girl. That picture of the two girls almost makes me cry it's so sweet. Seriously I am so scared for the accidents that are sure to come with my kiddies. Hope it heals quickly!

Patti Miller said...

Holy Heck! I bet there was a ton of blood! keep us posted...

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

oh my word - I'm so sorry that happened! Yikes! I hope everything turns out okay. Definitely keep us posted.

chingchong7 said...

oh my goodness!!! hope ashley is feeling better and that the pain is gone! give her hugs and kisses for us! ER's are no fun!!

Kimberly Kidman said...

Holy smokes I am so glad she is ok!!!

Kerri said...

Youch!!

Ok your prior post about Sammy off to Kindergarten was so dang cute. With Izzy heading off for the first time as well, it was fun to see the comparisons. As for pants--many stores do the adjustable waist bands that totally help (Children's Place, Gap--ok I know their more expensive, just look for sales and outlets).

Hollie said...

That is so sad. I hope she is feeling better. Poor little girl.

Knapp family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Poor girl! That would be pretty scary...for both of you. Glad she's OK.

Tara Green said...

yikes! sorry. i haven't been on here forever. im so behind in the blogging world.

The Smyth Family said...

You have been on my mind a lot this last week! Hope you are doing well. I really miss you! LYLAS!

Sherri Harward said...

That must have been so scary. Your sweet little girl, that is too bad. I hope she recovers quickly. That also stinks that the ER couldn't do anything. I hate when that happens and your stuck with a huge bill when all they did was give you a prescription for some pain meds.

Hey, Are you going to be running in Prison Break half marathon?