"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I need input!

I'm thinking of going private with my blog, but I can't quite decide. I like that when I visit a friend's blog and see someone else I haven't seen in years, then being able to catch up if they are public... and vice versa. I've found lots of friends that way and I am now able to keep in touch and read about new jobs, weddings, babies and lots more. Plus, it's another source of putting my business out there since it's linked on the right.

However, the other day I happen to see a Criminal Minds episode that freaked me out. I know it's creepy I like that show, but this particular one was really freaky. It started out that the unsub was able to find his victims through public facebook pages. And the second part that had my heart racing was that it was happening in a City not too far from here. I know we all secretly hope our parts of town are safe... but deep down I think we all know they are just the same as any other city.

And here is the one that is a kicker... literally the day before I watched that episode I received a comment on my blog that was totally normal and encouraging, but I had no idea who it was from. When I clicked on the name, it linked me to a public website (not a blog) that I didn't recognize. That has happened before but then usually the next comment is something along the lines of, "Hey it's Jane, btw... I was on my sister's blog."

I try not to give specific details of where I live, but do you think I'm being way too paranoid by going private? Lend me your thoughts, please!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I feel ya girl! I did not want to go private for the same reasons - plus it is kind of a pain :) But someone also commented on my blog that I did not know and same exact thing, when I clicked on the link it took me to a public page - I think that it was some sort of online store! You never know - there may be really no reason to worry, but then again...who knows for sure right!!! Sorry, I may not be of too much help!!! :) Good luck on your decision! Take care girl!

chingchong7 said...

That's a tough one. I have thought of this especially when we have kids. It is annoying if it's private to have to sign in and if an old friend stumbles upon your blog they won't be able to view it.
But, family safety always comes first and with world wide internet - people seem to find ways to look up information. It's a scary thought. You should do what is best for your family.
If you go private, I will still blog stalk you cause your my SIL! ha ha

Rachel B. said...

I debate about this constantly. Such a hard decision. I truly am thinking that I will go private soon though. If you do, the best idea I've seen is to create a new blog that isn't private that just tells people when you've updated. That way everybody can have that one on their google reader. Otherwise, I have the hardest time remembering to check private ones.