"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Celebrations!

I have to start off showing everyone Sammy's first shiner. She fell down the stairs the other day and I'm not exactly sure how she got the black eye, but she did. I was upstairs and heard this enormous thud followed by a piercing scream. This is what her poor eye looked like the next morning, but now it's a little bruised and scabbed over. She asks me to make sure everyone knows about it.
Yesterday, we had a very busy, fun-filled day. Sammy had her Valentine's Day party at school and then we took yummy treats to Andy's work. One of the ladies there stopped me and said, "Okay, I've been bugging your husband for your sugar cookie recipe. They are so good!" I laughed and replied, "You want to know my secret?... I get in my car, drive down to Walmart and pick up a sugar cookie mix in the baking isle." Apparently I can bake sugar cookies. (wink)
After we got home Mallory came to spend the afternoon with us so her mommy could help out at her sister's school. We had a lot of fun!
We made Valentine cards... (I love you with my whole heart. The flower is heart shaped chocolates.)
Ashley liked hers so much that she gave it to her daddy and then said, "Now I want it back." Sammy seemed to part with hers pretty well and wanted to make more.
We also attempted to make a chocolate bowl. It looks a little shabby but the concept was grasped. During the process two balloons popped. Chocolate went everywhere and Mallory gasped, then laughed!
After chocolate, then came the rice crispy treats! We all thought they turned out cute enough to send some home with Mallory.
Later the girls went outside in the freezing weather to play in the backyard. After about 10-15 minutes they came in shivering and said they had enough.
So I bundled them up in blankets and let them watch the movie Mallory brought over.
How cute are they? Don't you think Mallory and Ashley could pass as sisters? We loved having Mallory and she is welcome anytime!!!

Today was pretty great, too! I started my day by running 6 miles with Mallory's mom, Melissa. I was actually dreading it before I started because I thought I would be dead by the end. I was pleasantly surprised and finished feeling great. Melissa and I stayed at the same pace and neither of us felt like we were slowing the other one down. We ran almost the whole time (walked at the beginning to warm up, in the middle when we stopped for water, and then at the end to cool down), talked the whole time, and got to know each other better. I've never been one to like running, but I have to admit that was the best run I've ever had and actually enjoyed it. When I got home I had a few laughs... Sammy told me I stunk so bad that I better take a shower right away. As I was about to get in the shower I noticed something. While on the run I told Melissa that my belly was cold... when I undressed it looked like I had a nasty burn/tan line from my pant line up. About 6 inches of my belly was purple! Even Andy laughed at it.

For our Valentine's date we went out with our usual crowd (Brandon, Brigetta, Corey, and Hollie) to Tucanos! We were so excited because it just opened and we were able to get reservations... granted it was at 1:00 but we were stilled tickled pink! We ate ourselves sick and to add to the happiness we ran into our friends, Stephanie and Jason Hammer. They were seated right behind us.

We went home to find 3 out of the 4 girls asleep. We woke Ashana and took her home and then decided to follow their idea and take a nap ourselves. Awe! To end the evening... our usual crowd came over and we laughed till our cheeks were sore while watching Ghost Town! All in all it was a wonderful Valentine's Day Celebration!

I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day, too!

4 comments:

John. Shiloam. Skyler. Casey. Courtney. Saylor said...

Give Sammy a huge hug for me. Shiner and all, she's still pretty gosh, darn cute.

Jen said...

What a nice little shiner...poor girl! That is awesome that you ran 6 miles - wow!!! I am sooo not a runner...Sounds like you guys had a great day! Oh, my mom made the leg warmers!

Rachel B. said...

Oh poor Sammy! I love that she wanted everybody to know about it. I always thought she was so dang cute. And yes, I also can't believe you ran 6 miles. I've ran 2 5K's in my life and I thought I was pretty amazing after that. ;) You're awesome. I'm glad you guys had a good holiday!

chingchong7 said...

What a great valentine's weekend! Good job on the 6 mile run! How have I been doing?? still running. trying hard to keep up with that training schedule you gave me but sometimes i fall a mile or two short. I'm also trying to lose 30 lbs by april as well. so my goal is either the half marathon or 30lbs. i'll take either one! oh and ashley's hair is so adorable. i just noticed the cut, is it new?