"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Worst Weekend In History!!!

As some of you know my little brother, Dallin, got married this last weekend and we traveled to Utah for the event. Congratulations, by the way! (Check out Cindy's blog for photos.) The weekend started out with me getting lost while running and then things got worse.

Saturday morning we arrived at the Draper Temple for the wedding and as we started to walk toward the the doors I had to gasp in utter shock! My Aunt Flow decided to pay me a visit for the first time in 12 weeks! It's been so long since she last visited that I kept checking my doorstep to make sure she didn't leave a bundle of surprise instead. Her timing was horrific! I didn't have any way to hide her and the wedding was starting in a half hour. Nobody could help in my situation so I sent Andy back to Shiloam's house speeding to solve my problem. It turns out that the temple worker went upstairs and said I had an emergency and asked them to ramble as long as possible, but they wouldn't wait for us. So then everyone who didn't already know started to ask questions... by then they wished they hadn't asked. Fortunately they let Andy and I slip in the back and we didn't miss all of the wedding. I was mortified when Dallin told me they announced it to everyone! Maybe I'll laugh about it later.

The next morning Andy and I were getting ready to fly to Colorado to get the last of our things in our house. We knew that what Tanis had at the wedding was a bug rather than lack of sleep when Katie started to throw up. We were needing to leave within a few minutes and decided that she would be in good hands with Brigetta and Shiloam. Unfortunately, Shiloam was also sick and throwing up. So that left John to take care of Katie while Brigetta and Brandon took us to the airport. Our flight was on time and we didn't have to wait long to take a shuttle to the truck rental place. I called John and found out that Katie threw up another 3-4 times since we left. I was frustrated that I couldn't be there to take care of my baby and wanted to get back on the road. We waited at least a half hour for the truck, but got a pretty good deal for our time. We suddenly had a major and unexpected change in plans. (Sorry, I was asked not to indulge on this part.) We ended up taking the truck back and had to get on the next flight to Utah. We were so anxious to get back home and things still did not get better. Once we were on the plane the pilot came out and told us that there was only one runway open due to a funnel cloud touching ground and it would be at least another hour before we took off. At this point I was in tears just wanting to get home to my sick baby. We made it back to Utah, packed up our things, and headed back home. As we were driving I told Andy, "I don't think that weekend could have gone any worse." He quickly responded, "Don't say that! It's not over yet!" Sure enough things got worse!

The drive home was full of crying, sick kids who were constantly complaining about sore tummies. Once we hit Twin Falls Katie cried so hard that she threw up... again! We stopped at a gas station and cleaned her up. Then we dreaded to get back in the car and continue the long drive. We were literally 50 feet from our exit to go home and Andy got pulled over! He was going 65 in a 55 construction zone. Fines double in construction zones!!! Luckily, both Katie and Ashley decided at that same moment to have a meltdown. The cop commented on our full car and crying kids and let Andy off with a warning. Thank goodness for that because it's $147 fine! Ah, we made it home a few minutes later...

Monday morning Katie threw up another two times and refused to eat or drink anything all day. The poor girl was so dehydrated and weak that she mostly just cuddled and slept. Things started to get a little better by the afternoon when she went down for a nap and then Ashley decided to do a very smart thing... I heard the water running upstairs which is never a good sign when Sammy is sitting next to me and Andy is gone. Ashley said she needed to wash the toothpaste off her hands. Of course she got the lecture of "your not supposed to use the toothpaste without mommy's help." Then my nose smelled a familiar smell that was NOT toothpaste, but still couldn't put my finger on it. At this point Ashley was saying that her hands and mouth were burning. I ran upstairs to see what she used and found a surprise. She used Icy Hot to brush her teeth!!! I called poison control and was told (after a few chuckles) that if she started to throw up to take her to the emergency room immediately. Thankfully nothing happened and we were able to finish our weekend somewhat quietly.

6 comments:

chingchong7 said...

Seriously, what a crazy weekend for all the families that came into town!! I hope everyone is doing better and back to normal! Miss ya!

Hollie said...

Holy COW!! Your right that weekend couldn't of got worse. I am glad you made it through. I sure hope your kids are feeling better. Hang in there.

Jen said...

WOW!!! Sounds terrible!!! :( I am so super sorry to hear about your weekend...I hope that the girls are feeling better.

Fossil Photo / Curtis and Shauna said...

I'm sorry to hear all that! Similar situation about Aunt Flow happened to me too, although not nearly as embarrassing as yours. I wasn't prepared at the moment and was out meeting with people, happens when nursing goes down to about 2 times a day. Embarrassing! Hope your girls feel better.

The Smyth Family said...

I'm SOOO sorry you had such a bad weekend. I hope things start looking up!! LYLAS

John. Shiloam. Skyler. Casey. Courtney. Saylor said...

Although the doors are always open, I bet you guys probably never want to stay with us again. I'm sorry Katie got sick. Sorry about the temple. Sorry about the CO botched plans and sorry we couldn't snap our fingers and let everything change to complete happiness.