"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Sunday, January 10, 2010

2nd ER visit

About 2:00 this morning Ashley woke up, crying. Usually if one of my girls wake up in the middle of the night I let them find there way to our bedroom floor... Yes, you can call me lazy. Anyway, it must have been that "mother's intuition" because I jumped out of bed right away. Ashley said there was something stuck in her mouth. She was wheezing and had a pretty deep cough. She wanted Andy so I went in and woke him up saying, "I think Ashley has croup. She's having a hard time breathing and she's calling for you." He got out of bed and went to Ashley. I asked him to give her a blessing and I was shocked to hear Andy reply, "I'm taking her to the hospital. You stay here and I'll call you to let you know how bad it is." Keep in mind, he's one of those people who will make you wait three days before you do anything. (He's his father's son! My MIL walked on a broken foot for months before they ordered an x-ray!) I couldn't sleep the whole time they were gone and I thought about calling someone to come over so I could be with my baby. The doctor saw Ashley about 3:00 and he confirmed it was croup. He gave her a dose of medicine to help with the inflammation and said she is highly contagious. The poor girl had it twice when she was a small baby. I hate to see her go through it again. But, the good news is we know how to treat it and she was home shortly after.

Small tangent, Katie fell last week and did the exact same thing Ashley did that sent her to the ER the first time. She fell with a tent pole in her mouth and cut herself. We thought we threw all the tent poles away, but we apparently missed one. Katie's cut was more on the roof of her mouth and she barely bled. I promise I'm not negligent as a mother... they're just sneaky, and clumsy!

8 comments:

Justin & Allison Harmon said...

I hope Ashley gets better soon. Thanks for the comment on my blog this evening :) I would love to show you how I made that purse...I kind of made it up...so I don't know how cut and dry the instructions are, but it's not too terrible...ha ha. By the way..your salsa creation in the previous post sounds tasty too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! It's so awful to have sick kids! Also, no one thinks your negligent! Kids get hurt, that's just the way things go.

Kerri said...

Hope she's doing better and that nobody else got it. Nice work with your salsa :)

Sarah's Project said...

I hate the croup too, so sorry you've had that, lice, & Ashley's mouth all in one year. We are going to bless Halle on February 7 (fast sunday). Our church is at 9am then we'll have brunch after sacrament. We would love to see you!

BSU fam said...

Poor Ashley, I'm sorry. I hope she heals quickly!

Trinette McCrary said...

Yikes! It sounds like it has been rough for you the last few weeks. Can I just say I HATE croup. ALL my kids have had croup. It is scary. My youngest just had it a few weeks ago and was really sick. We were doing breathing treatments for her at home. Hang in there, I know your a wonderful mother, but we can dought ourselves at times.

Rachel B. said...

Oh I hate croupe! That is seriously the saddest sound on those poor little babies! And what the heck with the tent pole?! That sounds so nasty. You poor mommy! I hope all is better soon.

Also, I started to comment forever ago on Sammy's birthday party, but got distracted by little people. Anyway, SUCH a cute party. And WOW on the cake. You are super artistic, lady. And a guitar for each girl is so much fun. You are a fun mommy!

chingchong7 said...

oh my goodness. hope ashley is feeling better! give the girls hugs and kisses from us!