"By the assistance of letters the memory of past things is preserved, and the forknowledge of some things to come is revealed. By them even things inanimate instruct and admonish us."

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm an addict!

Over the summer my family and I helped with our "family-community garden." It was taken care of by my mom, mostly, but Brigetta and I (with our families) went down on our assigned days and watered, weeded, and picked fruits and veggies. It was mainly planted as a salsa garden. And around here there was a plethora of everything. Tomatoes and peppers grew quicker than we could jar. It was my first year ever to do any kind of canning and I was so sick of it by the end of the season. As you may remember, Emily and I made apricot and cherry jam. After she left I made strawberry freezer jam. Then it was onto the salsa. I have so much salsa that I really didn't think I would go through it before it expired. My last couple batches I did I counted 90 jalapeno peppers and that doesn't include my mom's portion she took and the ones I gave away! What do I do with all that salsa?

A couple weeks ago I was trying an "invention" for dinner. Mostly they don't turn out as well as I hope and end up not doing it again. However, this one quickly became one of my addictions. It's so, so easy. I throw everything into my crock pot and let it cook... what could be easier? I put in (for my family of 5) 3 chicken breasts, 2 cans of black beans (mostly drained), 1 can of corn (drained), and 1 pint of homemade salsa. I call it my taco stew because it's kind of thick but still has the feel of a taco soup. I like to sprinkle cheese over the top and then eat it with corn tortilla chips. Oh, so good! My girls even like it and Andy has not yet complained about eating it four times in the last couple weeks. I may run out of my salsa after all!

5 comments:

BSU fam said...

Sounds yummy!

Elizabeth & Matthew said...

I know what you can bring next time you come visiting teaching. Hint, Hint!!!!

Sarah's Project said...

You forgot to mention how long you cook it, on hi or lo, and do you cook the chicken first? I think it sounds delicious!

Kelsey said...

Yummm! That sounds good I am going to try it! Have you ever made the cafe rio pork? It's a great way to use your salsa and it's really easy. You can freeze the leftovers to use later if you want. Here is the recipe if you don't have it...

Cafe Rio Pork

6 lb. pork roast
1 can Coke
1 16 oz. jar salsa
2 c. brown sugar

Place roast in crockpot and fill halfway up the roast with water. Cook 5 hrs, drain water. Cut into smaller pieces or shred if tender enough. Mix salsa, coke , and brown sugar and pour over roast. Cook 3 hrs longer, shred.
Yummy in burritos, quesadillas, salad, or with a baked potato.

Here's another easy one with salsa...

Chicken Lime Tacos

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
1 T. chili powder
3 T. lime juice
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup (or more) salsa

Put chicken in crockpot, mix together lime juice and chili powder and pour over chicken. Cook for 5-6 hrs. on low. Remove chicken, shred and replace in crockpot. (leave in at least half of the juices) Add corn, black beans and salsa (I just dump salsa until it looks good). Stir and cook for 30 min. on low, or until heated through.

Serve in warm tortillas with any or all of the following: lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, avacadoes and fresh limes. Also great for salads or quesadillas!

Alanya/Ally said...

Sorry, I didn't mention the details of how it's cooked. I place the chicken in the crock pot frozen with everything and then when it's cooked through and tender I shred it and put it back in the crock pot. I usually cook it on high for about three hours. If I remember in the morning I just put in on low cook it all day.

One of these days... with my mom's permission... I'll post the recipe for the salsa. I personally think it's one of the best salsa's out there!